Minutes of the BARC Executive Committee Meeting
October 4, 1996

Recorded by Ed Hennessy, N1PBA, Club Secretary

Present were Dick Doherty, KA1TUZ (EC); Mike Ardai, N1IST (President); Jim Clogher, N1ICN, (VP); Arthur Ashley, N1NHZ (Treasurer, Membership Services); Bob Salow, WA1IDA (EC, Public Service); Ed Hennessy, N1PBA (Secretary); Bob Cassell, N1ENS (EC); Ralph Walton, N1KOI.

The meeting began at approximately 7:10 PM.

Dick, KA1TUZ, reported that a Local Interference Committee was being formed in the EMA section, for the area.

Dick also reported on the road race to be held in honor of the firefighters killed in the Hotel Vendome fire in the 1970s. He is recruiting hams for communications for the 10 km (6.1 miles) race, which runs from Florian Hall to UMass Boston and back, on October 20. They will use the Dorchester .21 repeater.

Dick also mentioned that Net Control 101 will begin this Monday, October 7, right after the close of the BARC net. Arthur, N1NHZ, said that whoever helps run Net Control 101 should mention ways to record or log, as well as any other helpful hints for beginner net controls.

Mike, N1IST, said the joint BARC/MIT club CW class is going well.

Mike also said that he would like to begin publicly acknowledging people with new or upgraded calls, and will ask people to share this info with him. We can't send radiograms after the VE sessions anymore, because upgrades now must await FCC approval to be made public.

Mike also said that he will be getting the Field Day video soon.

Bob, WA1IDA, received info from the Framingham club. They are planning a weekend tech class soon, which is something BARC would like to do. The cover letter with the flyer had some nice background info about FARA, and it would be a nice thing for us to do.

Bob reported that the Jimmy Fund Marathon Walk was held the previous Sunday. It was a great success, and was busier than in years past.

Mike, N1IST, reported that the club had submitted a few choices for a new callsign, and the application went in for the first day. We must now wait for the FCC to enter all of the 4600+ applications they got that first day into the computer. Once that's done, then the FCC will randomly be pulling applications and processing them. We won't know the outcome for a while.

Bob Salow asked about news on the barc.org domain/address for members. Mike reported that he is working on something, and if it goes through, it would make a mail alias to forward mail from to another address that that user chose.

Bob also mentioned that we should start thinking about any modifications we would like to make to the membership application (in terms of requested info and layout) for 1997.

Arthur, N1NHZ, asked about planning for the holiday party. He said that the third Wednesday is the 18th of December. The group reaffirmed having the party at Matt Garrett's, especially after they were nice enough to refund money to the club for all who canceled due to the snow that day. Arthur will call Matt Garrett's and ask to reserve the 18th, and get a tentative menu. He will report back.

Mike said that the club roster will be in this month's SPARC, and the invitation/reservation for the holiday party will be in the November SPARC.

Mike also said he will make a few more badges, for new members and a few upgrades.

Mike said he has a few BARC Field Day T shirts left, and Bob, WA1IDA, said he has a few of the orange 'emergency communications' hats left.

Bob, N1ENS, said that we still needed to call the USS Salem. He suggested that we go down and see the rooms available for use, and choose one. He and Mike will do that on a weekend, since they are open 10-5.

Dick said he is working on another lead for possible club shack and meeting space. He will report back with news as things develop. The last lead he had worked on fell through due to a lack of handicap accessibility to the proposed area, so the town involved did not allow it.

The meeting was adjourned at approximately 8:30 PM.