Minutes of the BARC Executive Committee Meeting
December 4, 1996
Recorded by Ed Hennessy, N1PBA, Secretary
Present were: Arthur Ashley, N1NHZ, Treasurer, Membership Services;
Paul Carter, N1TMF, Newsletter Editor; Paul Katz, N1LRT; Dick Doherty,
Exec. Cmte.; Bob Salow, WA1IDA, Public Service, Exec. Cmte.; Ed Parish,
K1EP; Mike Ardai, N1IST, President; Bill Ricker, N1VUX; Jim Clogher, VP;
Ed Hennessy, N1PBA, Secretary; Bob Cassell, N1ENS, Exec. Cmte; Ralph
The meeting was called to order at 6:50 PM.
NOTE: A decision was made at this meeting to streamline the minutes.
From now on, minutes will be in bulleted form, and will include
decisions made, votes, etc., and not the general discussions of the
meeting. Further info will always be available from the Secretary, or
by attending an Executive Committee meeting, which are open to all.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:15 PM.
- The January Executive Committee meeting falls on New Year's Day.
The group moved the meeting for January to Thursday, Jan. 2 at 6:30.
- The FCC will work on the interference problem with the repeater the
week after next. The repeater was not affected much this week--the
problem was on 145.21, although it was heard as high as 145.43. Also,
an electrical interference problem affecting us, as well as the Boston
FD 483 MHz repeater on the Hancock has been traced to a power source
at the MBTA and corrected.
- The group agreed on a $25 donation to the Alzheimer's Foundation in
memory of Rita Walsh, N1DDU's mother.
- An idea to consider changing officers' terms to 2 years was brought up.
This requires a by-laws change, among other things. This was only
suggested as something to consider, and the group will do so.
- Bank account service charges were explained, and generally, the interest
and service charges are close. There is really no way to get a cheaper
account. However, each deposit item (checks and deposit slips) cost
10 cents but cash is 'free.' If we can deposit more cash it would help
(only a little, but everything helps). We will have a cash box available
for collecting dues in cash at the January General Meeting.
- As another cost-saving measure, N1VUX will investigate reduced-cost or
free SPARC printing (in exchange for ad space). The SPARC is the club's
- The group looked over the list of those receiving free copies of the
newsletter. There was agreement that most, if not all, of the 143 names
should be on that list.