Minutes of the BARC Executive Committee Meeting
May 1, 1996

Recorded by Ed Hennessy, N1PBA, Club Secretary

Present were Arthur Ashley, N1NHZ (Membership Services); Bob Salow, WA1IDA (Public Service, EC); Ed Parish, WA2SCA (VP); Dick Doherty, KA1TUZ; Myrton Smith, N1GKE; Ed Hennessy, N1PBA (Secretary); Mike Ardai, N1IST (President). Treasurer Dug Johnson, KD1NU, was unable to attend.

The meeting was called to order at 6:55 PM.

Mike, N1IST, asked Bob Salow to pick up the club banner. It was used at the marathon; it was given to hams at station 16, then moved to station 17. The ham there still has it. Bob will get it.

Mike said that we are still looking for a May speaker. We will have a video on Skywarn at the May meeting as well. This is an informational tape to encourage people to become involved with Skywarn. Mike said that speakers are set for June (Joe Dolliver from Rivendell--new equipment or RC aircraft) and July (Joe Rich, N1OCS, on the Easter Island DXPedition).

Mike mentioned that a Field Day planning meeting was held. Josh Sattin, N1PNN, is FD chair this year, and he ran the meeting. The equipment we will use is all set. There will be a FD shirt--"I survived Field Day, Boston Amateur Radio Club."-- for those who want one, at at cost of $10. There is a minimum order of 24. The shirts are available thanks to N1LAR.

Mike would like to have a foxhunt. Since May will be a busy month, he proposed June to organize a foxhunt, perhaps in conjunction with a picnic.

The group also suggested other activities that would likely happen, and will need only coordination to accomplish: orienteering, hilltopping, another Fire Boat trip, a tour of the South Station communications area, and a MEMA or FEMA bunker tour.

Mike reported that we have two non-ham volunteers who will attend meetings with us so that we can avoid the $65 charge. (We must pay for security if we do not have an employee with us.) Our Volpe contact has expressed interest in a ham class for these 2 volunteers and others at the Volpe. We will definitely have a class; we just need to see whether a weekend class works better than 8 evening sessions. Mike will contact the Framingham ARA about the success of their recent Saturday class and the syllabus they followed. It would be nice to allow non-Volpe people in the class, but our first priority is to the Volpe, since they asked. They will have a sign-up sheet there, so we will know how many Volpe employees are interested.

Mike mentioned that we really need to contact the club member who offered us storage space for shack stuff, to confirm. Storage is getting expensive, at $80 per month.

Mike also said that June is election month. Two people, KA1TUZ, and Phil Temples, K9HI, have volunteered to be on the nominating committee. Dick would approach another member who has been on the committee in the past. The committee is soliciting names of people interested in running for club office.

Mike commented that there is a problem with the club FTP area. Some files have been lost. Cheyenne is working with our contact at Oakland University and trying to correct it. Also in the computer area, Mike said that the ARRL will be taking over distribution of the w1aw-list mailing list next week.

Ed, N1PBA, spoke about the Citizen Schools, which is an apprenticeship program for 9 to 13 year olds that will take place this summer. He has been contacted by Stephanie Davalos, the Associate Director. They would love to get involved with BARC, and she will be attending the May General meeting. The group felt that this association was worth pursuing, although the daytime classes may be a problem.

Bob, WA1IDA, mentioned that we need to renew our request with MASSPEP for a room for the VE sessions. He will contact them, and ask for a room with a 30 person capacity. Mike asked that he try to get the same room as we have been using.

Bob said that Terry Stader, KA8SCP, is coordinating the Northeast Regional All Hazards Conference at the World Trade Center Boston, June 26-28. Terry is looking for some hams both for staffing a booth demonstrating ham radio, and for communications needs. There will be 75 seminars/exhibits.

In cleaning up co-ax, etc., at Mass Bay Community College following the marathon, Bob said he broke a skylight. MBCC said they may have a spare one; if they did not, they would bill Bob and he would make a claim on the BARC liability insurance. If they have a spare, they would install it and not charge BARC.

Bob spoke about the Red Cross meeting he and Ed Parish recently attended. It was a debriefing about the marathon. Basically things went rather smoothly, although some minor changes could be made. Bob summarized these. Bob also said that he and Ed were not able to get from the Red Cross a total number of dispatched ambulances. In years past, the ambulance calls were numbered sequentially as ambulances were sent. The total number of dispatched ambulances was the highest number issued. This year, to help determine frequency activity, ambulance calls were numbered sequentially on each frequency that called for an ambulance. The call sheets were turned over to the Red Cross, and so Bob could not get a total himself.

Bob noted that the Aviation Expo would again have an amateur radio booth. Approximately 3000 schoolchildren would participate. It will be held at the United Air Lines hangar at Logan on May 8. Bill Foster, KD1NX, is again heading up the group of hams that will staff the booth.

Ed, WA2SCA, said that he'd bought about $60 worth of brackets and mounting equipment for the marathon. These were used to mount antennas at various locations, especially at MBCC for net control. He may donate these to the club for use at things like Field Day.

Ed also mentioned that there is the possibility of an equipment donation to the club. He will have more on that later.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:15 PM.