Minutes of the BARC Executive Committee Meeting
November 5, 1997
Recorded by Ed Hennessy, N1PBA, Secretary
Recorded by Paul Carter N1TMF, SPARC Editor
Present were Mike Ardai, N1IST, President;
Arthur Ashley, N1NHZ, Membership
Services; Paul Carter, N1TMF, SPARC
Editor; Bob Cassell, N1ENS, EC; Jim
Clogher, N1ICN, Treasurer; Dick Doherty,
KA1TUZ, VP; Mike Kass, N1YER; Bill
Ricker, N1VUX; Bob Salow, WA1IDA,
Public Service; Ralph Walton, N1KOI;
The meeting was called to order at
- BARC members who did not renew for
1996 or 1997 will be mailed a copy of
the Dec. 1997 SPARC, containing a
- It was decided that buying a copying
machine in order to reduce our printing
costs is impractical. N1VUX will look
into cheaper printing services.
- The 1996 club accounts will be
published in the Jan 1997 SPARC.
N1ICN gives the club balance as of
Nov. 5 as $3105.
- BARC should submit various
documents to secure our tax-exempt
status. N1ICN will gather and submit
them, and create a checklist for future
- N1YER is forming an ARES group for
EMA. He hopes to have an ARES net
on the .23 machine by the end of the
year. There is an ARES net on the
Framingham machine Su 7pm.
- A HF vertical antenna and roof tower
were donated to the club.
- Ralph Walton reports no further
progress on a BARC Tech license class,
a location and starting date are needed.
N1VUX notes that the NU club may be
interested in cooperating with us.
N1IST will provide a copy of the
ARRL's course guide.
- The National Guard speaker for the
November General meeting cancelled.
He might come in early 1998.
November General Meeting will
probably be show and tell.
- There will be a simulated emergency
test on December 6, see article in this
month's SPARC for details. Of course,
in bad weather, look for SKYWARN
net on the .23 machine. N1VUX notes
that SKYWARN nets and RACES
coordinate on the 6M and 440
machines on Mt. Wachusett.
- Vanity gate 4 is open, requiring
submission of a 610V and 159A form
- The ARRL has a special fund for
lobbying to protect Amateur Radio
spectrum. BARC will collect donations
from members for a club donation.
- If members hear inappropriate
language on the .23 machine, they
should not talk to the offenders, but
contact the BARC repeater committee.
- KA1TUZ notes that the BFD Alarm
tour is on for Nov. 23. See the article in
this month's SPARC for details.
- N1IST urges members to consider
running for club offices to be vacated
this year - especially President! He
notes club goals for next near as:
People are urged to help
out with these if possible.
- Get a club shack, fixed or mobile
- Regain working relationship with Red Cross and Salvation Army
- Do more events and activities
- Do club foxhunts
- Get a Field Day Chairman
- Develop an ARES team and plan
- Do a 98/99 winter season flea market.
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 2110.