Minutes of the BARC Executive Committee Meeting
January 2, 1997
Recorded by Ed Hennessy, N1PBA, Secretary
Present were: Ralph Walton, N1KOI; Bob Salow, WA1IDA, Public Service; Paul
Carter, N1TMF, SPARC Editor; Mike Ardai, N1IST, President; Ed Hennessy,
N1PBA, Secretary; Arthur Ashley, N1NHZ, Treasurer, Membership Services;
Paul Katz, N1LRT, First Night Chair; Renato Donadio, N1XBR; Bob Cassell,
N1ENS, Exec. Committee.
The meeting was called to order at approximately 6:45 PM.
- First Night was again a success. Approximately 600 messages were
relayed. The NTS part worked very well; we now need to work on publicizing
amateur radio more at the booth. Mike, Paul, and others will develop a
list of improvements to make for next year's First Night.
- Also, the booth was sponsored by "Amateur Radio Clubs of Eastern MA," but
few non-BARC hams helped out and no other clubs provided handout materials.
Next year, the group decided that the booth will again be coordinated and
sponsored by BARC, but all hams are welcome to help out (this is what we
have always done with the Marathon, and, until this year, First Night).
- Renewals are coming in at a steady rate, and the club has also received
over $100 in donations with them so far.
- Wentworth has taken over all of the classrooms in the MASSPEP building
this semester, leaving MASSPEP with no rooms at night and BARC with no VE
session room. They may find they don't need all the rooms, but for January
at least, we will have to find an alternate location. This is being worked
on and will be announced ASAP.
- The BARC WWW page has been chosen as one of the best ham radio related
web pages. Mike will change the page to add this recognition. The group
acknowledged all of the hard work Mike puts in on the web page. Also, Mike
will have First Night photos on the page in the next day or two.
- The group agreed to sell some old rigs donated to BARC. Mike has been
holding them at his apartment. He will post a list of what these are soon.
The group decided to sell these by a bid system. They will be sold on a
bid system, which seemed to be the most fair way to do so. Only BARC
members will be allowed to bid in the first round. Details will be
- Arthur is actively seeking his replacement as treasurer when his term
ends in June. He would like to remain Membership Services chairman,
however. Interested members should feel free to contact Arthur.
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 7:55 PM.