Minutes of the BARC Executive Committee Meeting
May 7, 1997
Present were Arthur Ashley, N1NHZ, Treasurer; Paul Carter, N1TMF, SPARC
Editor; Bob Cassell, N1ENS, EC; Dick Doherty, KA1TUZ, EC; Mike Ardai, N1IST,
President; Ed Hennessy, N1PBA, Secretary; Glenn Meader, KA1LKM, FD Chair;
Carmen Drago, K1LKP; Ralph Walton, N1KOI; Bill Ricker, N1VUX; Jim Clogher,
N1ICN, VP; Ed Parish, K1EP; Bob Salow, WA1IDA; Mike Karpinski, N1XBS.
The meeting was called to order at approximately 1845.
- Mike, N1IST, spoke about the upcoming elections in June. Arthur, N1NHZ,
has agreed to serve as the nominating committee. He has one name for each
of the four officer positions. Nominations are taken up through the June
executive meeting, and also from the floor just prior to the election.
- Ed, N1PBA, reported that the May speaker is booked. She will be Donna
Halper, a professional radio consultant who also does a lot of historical
research into Boston Radio. She will speak on the early days of Boston
radio, specifically on two hams who were influential in both the amateur
and professional radio scenes.
Dick, KA1TUZ, mentioned that there are several ideas for workshops; we need
places to host them, however. He also said that we have several activities
we can do, as long as we get people to plan them. He will work on getting
a tour of the Logan Airport fire department.
- Dick also spoke about the day's Aviation Expo. It was a success, and he
heard from some teachers and students who are interested in becoming hams.
The exhibit generated some message traffic, and would have done more if
kids knew to have addresses and phone numbers for the NTS messages. We
will plan for this for next year.
- Dick mentioned that he and Bob, WA1IDA, are still looking for hams to
help out at the Assistive Technology Fair on Wednesday 21 May at the World
Trade Center. Contact either one if you can be there.
- Arthur, N1NHZ, will investigate what we need to do (file? renew?) to
retain the club's tax exempt educational status (501c3) with the IRS.
- Glenn, KA1LKM, is looking for several people to run various aspects of
Field Day this year. He would like Station Managers for each station,
Operators/Loggers/Workers, a PR manager, a Food Manager, a Power Manager,
and a Transport Manager. He will have details in the SPARC and at the May
- There WILL be a cookout at this year's Field Day, both to get more people
to come by and have fun, and so more families can participate. Details to
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 2040.