Minutes of the BARC Executive Committee Meeting
August 6, 1997
Recorded by Paul Carter N1TMF, SPARC Editor
Present were: Mike Ardai, N1IST, President; Arthur Ashley, N1NHZ,
Membership; Roe Austin, N1GIE; Paul Carter, N1TMF, SPARC Editor; Bob
Cassell, N1ENS, EC; Jim Clogher, N1ICN, Treasurer; Dick Doherty,
KA1TUZ, Vice President; Paul Katz N1LRT; Don Price KB5VP; Bill Ricker,
N1VUX; Bob Salow, WA1IDA, Public Service; Ralph Walton.
The meeting began at approximately 6:55pm.
- N1IST restated that he will not be BARC President after the current
term. He urged members to think about running for a club office next year.
- N1IST: at the last MIT flea, the club turned a $36 profit. More club
property will be sold at the upcoming MIT flea. N1IST will also be selling
some personal property (see ad.)
- N1IST: we need speakers for the September, October, and
November general meetings.
- N1IST: the Barc List now has 270 subscribers in 22 countries.
- N1IST: the ARRL is soliciting donations for a reprint of the Archie
Comic books explaining Amateur Radio. They intend to do a 100,000 copy
run and need $30,000. Donations are tax deductible.
- N1IST: AES is crediting 1% of individual club member purchases to club
purchases from Sept. 1, 1997 to Sept. 1, 1998. Members who purchase from
AES are asked to provide copies of purchase invoices to the club treasurer.
- N1IST: we have a couple of activities planned this year, the fireboat
and policeboat tours. We need people to come up with more activities and
plan for them.
- N1NHZ is following up on the plan to do Ham activities with Boston High
School. Our contact is not available in August, so we will wait for him to
come back before proceeding.
- N1NHZ, WA1IDA: we need some long range planning to obtain a room for
club activities. Several interesting possibilities are in the works.
- KA1TUZ, N1NHZ are looking for a better solution for a control link
for the .23 machine because of continuing interference. A room in the Fed,
or a phone line is being considered.
- Rowe, N1GIE has agreed to be liaison between BARC and the Boston Red Cross.
- Jim, N1ICN reports the club's bank balance on June 30 was $3209.16.
- WA1IDA: The ARRL supports club classes for licensing tests. We need
instructors to give classes. Ralph Walton is interested in teaching.
- N1LRT: First Night is coming! BARC always has a traffic booth there,
and we need volunteers.
- N1ENS reports no progress on getting permanent operating space on the
USS Salem. A club officer must follow up. N1IST will call.
The meeting adjourned at approximately 9pm.