Minutes of the BARC Executive Committee Meeting
September 3, 1997
Recorded by Ed Hennessy, N1PBA, Secretary
Present were Arthur Ashley, N1NHZ, Membership Services; Mike Ardai, N1IST,
President; Dick Doherty, KA1TUZ, VP; Ed Hennessy, N1PBA, Secretary; Mike
Kass, N1YER; Paul Carter, N1TMF, SPARC Editor; Bob Salow, WA1IDA, Public
Service; Bob Cassell, N1ENS, EC; Ralph Walton, N1KOI. Treasurer Jim
Clogher, N1ICN, could not attend.
The meeting was called to order at 1900.
- Mike, N1IST, reported that the repeater 'gronking' has stopped. He
thinks that it may have been the window washing equipment on 1 Financial
Place, rather than the equipment on the Federal Reserve. The PL is still
active on 145.23. The group discussed the pros and cons of leaving the PL
on permanently, with control operator access to turning it off. The
Repeater Committee will make a final decision, but the recommendation was
made to leave PL on, and investigate using LiTZ to force it off in cases of
emergency. Mike's column in the SPARC will have more details.
- A Novice/Technician class will be upcoming. Classroom locations and
teachers are being worked on.
- Ideas were discussed for promoting Ham Radio Awareness Day, which is
- The club's monthly income and expenditures will be published in the
SPARC. Less often, a full report will be published.
- October's Executive Committee meeting was moved to Tuesday September 30,
to avoid conflicting with Rosh Hashanah on the regular meeting date of
Wednesday, October 1.
- Planning for the Holiday Dinner continues. Two restaurants will be
contacted this week.
- We have a speaker for the September General Meeting. He is from
- BARC will provide the communications for the WGBH Ice Cream Fest this
Saturday and Sunday. Mike Kass, N1YER, is coordinating. He can use a few
more people, especially Sunday. WGBH has recognized us in the monthly WGBH
magazine and in flyers for the event.
- Bob Salow, WA1IDA, reports that the costs for printing the SPARC rose
more than $60 for the August issue. Staples, where Bob prints the
newsletter, raised their prices significantly without notice. After making
some phone calls, Bob found that a shop in Watertown Square has rates close
to the original Staples rates. The September SPARC will be copied there,
and if the quality is good, we will continue to go there.
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 2055.