Minutes of the Boston Amateur Radio Club Business Meeting
September 5, 2002
Recorded by Michael Ardai, N1IST, Secretary
- Paul Olivieri, N1ZKR, President
- Frank Murphy, N1DHW, Vice President
- Mike Ardai, N1IST, Secretary
- Jim Clogher, N1ICN, Treasurer
- Bob Salow, WA1IDA, Public Service
- Arthur Ashley, N1NHZ, Membership Services
- Mark Duff, KB1EKN, Executive Committee
- Dick Doherty, KA1TUZ, Executive Committee
- Joe Scully, K1SQT
- Dan Malloy, KA1RDZ
- Bill Foley, KB1GLF
- Hank Buccigross, K1QK
The meeting started at approximately 1900 hrs.
- Committee reports were read and accepted.
- The next VE session will be 9/9.
- October and November VE sessions will be on the FIRST MONDAY since the usual time falls
on school holidays..
- September general meeting topic: SWLing. October: probably satellites.
November: Awards (DXCC, WAS) including field checking of cards. December:
- We need to get the Emergency Response Team more active. How can we do this?
- SATERN presense at Boxboro went very well. Good emergency communications demo.
- 24 hams helped with the Triathalon. It went very well, and BARC picked up 2 new
- Upcoming events - half marathon on 10/13, WGBH Icecream Funfest 9/14-9/15 -
contact WA1IDA if you can help - we still need people for Sunday at WGBH
- BARC made a donation to help support HandiHams..
- According to the ARRL, it is legal to re-read Amber Alert messages on ham radio.
It is not legal to rebroadcast (record and play back over the air) them.
- JOTA - Most likely in Hingham. Still a possibility to do it in Bedford.
- The first BARC brochure will target non-hams interested in the hobby. Future ones
will target hams new in the area and served agencies.
- The BARC holiday dinner will be held 12/19 at the TinTin Buffet in Brighton (same place
as last year).
- What happened with the BARC table at Boxboro? We spent the money for the table but
nobody volunteered to help man the tables, and since N1IST was out of town and KA1TUZ was
working the gate, it went idle.
- The donated gear that we were planning to sell at Boxboro will now be at the Waltham
auction in November or if someone wants to help out, we may want to put some of it up on
- Hosstraders will be October 4 and 5.
The meeting adjourned at 2042 hrs.
This is where the real business of BARC is conducted. If you have any suggestions,
questions or comments, this is where to bring them. All members, and anyone else
interested, are welcome (and encouraged) to join us at this meeting.
The next Boston Amateur Radio Club business meeting will be held Thursday, October
3rd, 2002 , 7:00pm, at the Parlin Memorial Library, 410 Broadway, off Route 99 in
Everett, MA. Check the Web page and/or listen to the repeater for directions.